With Fox Soccer Channel broadcasting live from Sahlen's Stadium on Saturday and Sunday and the US taking on Panama in the Gold Cup tomorrow evening, it's a busy soccer weekend.
Here are some notes from all over the soccer world to get things going:
- Devo has an article in today's D&C about Marta and the piece that ESPNW did on her that will be broadcast around the Women's World Cup later this month.
- Kevin Harmse , who played for Bob Lilley in Vancouver during the 2004 & 2005 seasons, has been waived by the Vancouver Whitecaps. Just saying.....
- Here is the video of Neal Kitson's goal for the Rhinos in Antigua. The play by play is classic, even if the video leaves a bit to be desired.
- This video of a pitch invader dressed as a cow scoring the first goal at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park cracked me up.
- Martin Jol is the new manager with Fulham. It will be interesting to see if he's down with the Fulhamerica strategy moving forward.
- US Soccer.com has more great videos including Game Day & Keepsakes with Tim Howard, English Experience with Michael Bradley , the USMNT leaving Detroit for Florida , Inside the Lines: MNT Trains in Florida , and a great piece with Kelley O'Hara getting the last spot on the USWNT's World Cup squad.
- The Free Beer Movement has a video from the supporters viewpoint of the US-Spain match.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer previews the US-Panama Gold Cup game.
- The USA 10 Kit is talking about Jozy Altidore.
- SBI.net looks at the Goodson-Ream center back combination.
- Mexico has had 5 players suspended for failing a drug test. And instead of blaming a tainted over the counter supplement, they are blaming tainted meat.
- Steve Davis has questions about how US Soccer selects venues for matches to be played after the horrible pitch that the US and Canada had to play on Tuesday night in Detroit.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer talks to the Fort Lauderdale Strikers brass about the reports of potential issues with their lease at Lockhart Stadium that is set to expire at the end of the month.
- The NY Cosmos will be the opponent against Manchester United for the Paul Scholes testimonial match. I wonder if Beckham is skipping another LA Galaxy match to play in this one, as well?
- Equalizer Soccer has a chat with Cat Whitehill.
- All White Kit has some notes, including magicJack's owner getting punished by WPS again.
- The 24th Minute talks about FIFA and CONCACAF corruption.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.