September 23, 2009
The Original Winger - Video Highlights
The Puerto Rico Islanders really needed to take three points from last evening's CONCACAF Champions League match at home versus Saprissa.
Things were looks good for the Islanders when they scored in the 72nd minute.
But, they were unable to hold on for the win as they gave up a goal at the 2:30 mark into 3 minutes of stoppage time.
I wonder what this does to Puerto Rico's mental state heading into tomorrow night's first leg of the USL 1st Division Quarterfinal series between the Rhinos and Islanders?
News & Notes:
- Kenney Bertz was named to the USL-1 Team of the Week.
- Peter Wilt's latest at Pitch Invasion is about hiring and retaining a good front office team.
- Portland is scrimmaging the local PDL squad to try and reduce the rust from having the week off.
- Houston dropped a four spot in CONCACAF Champions League play last night.
- Speaking of dropping a four spot on a club.....
- Part 2 of the US Soccer.com behind the scenes with Jonathan Spector is up.
- Seattle will have more seats to fill in 2010. At this point, I wonder if they should just open up all of Qwest Field and see what happens!
- Portland will only have about 17,000 seats for MLS games in a refurbed PGE Park.
- Could the house that Jerry Jones built host a World Cup Final? As a Redskins fan, I hope not!
- Who said there aren't soccer fans in the US? I wonder if they'll be able to crack the 1 million viewer mark this season?
- I wonder if the US-Honduras game will need to be moved?I volunteer Toronto's BMO Field! Road trip!
- Fake Sigi Schmid is a funny guy.
- Freddy Adu hopes to make the gameday roster this week for Belenenses.
- Michael Bradley is hoping to get back in the mix with his club.
- Traffic Football has signed another US U-20 Nat in Tony Taylor.
- I want this video game!
- Gotta love Legos x Soccer Riot!
- Apparently Salt Lake City is punk enough for MLS!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.