June 24, 2008
In case you didn't know, Rhinos season ticket holders need to use their Wild Card B ticket to get in to tonight's 2nd Round US Open Cup match between the Rhinos and the Pittsburgh Riverhounds of the USL 2nd Division.
Pittsburgh is also coming in tonight's match with a bitter taste from their last outing. Like the Rhinos, Pittsburgh was up a goal and a man at hom e and was only able to secure a draw. To make things even worse for the Riverhounds, they were looking for their first USL 2nd Divison win of the season and were unable to kill the game.
One thing I'm very interested in seeing tonight is how Coach Tilley deals with the foreigner status. Devo mentions in his blog entry from today that Danny Earls and Ze Roberto, along with Chad Severs, are feeling the effects from knocks they picked up versus Carolina on Friday night.
Could those two take a seat in the press box tonight like Salles did versus RWB Adria?
Will tonight be the night that Rey Martinez sees his first game action of 2008?
Will the Rhinos kill this game early and be able to save some legs for this weekend's game in Charleston?
We shall see....................
News & Notes:
- The USWNT Olympic roster has been named. One thing that made me go hmmm was Briana Scurry being named as an alternate.
- The USMNT will be in a group with Guatemala, Cuba, and T&T for the next round of World Cup qualifiers per SBI.net. I wonder how many Cuban Nats will defect when they place in the US?
- The Toronto Sun has an article on the poker match between TFC and Chicago over the rights to Brian McBride.
- It looks like Toronto FC fans are stuffing the MLS All-Star ballot box. Maurice Edu ahead of Guillermo Barros Schelotto? Please.
- I have to laugh if MLS is indeed being used as a booty call like MLS has used say Rochester as a booty call with regards to expansion cities.
- If MLS turned down a $1 million offer for Kenny Cooper then good for MLS and bad for Kenny.
- I almost put something else here, but I don't want to jinx things like Soccer Sam has been this week.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.