December 21, 2010
I guess Pat Onstad won't play forever.
He is going to join Ben Olsen's coaching staff at DC United.
I wonder if Pat will come out of retirement if Steve Cronin gets hurt? And if he does, will DC have to trade for his rights?
The surprising piece of this news isn't that Pat is getting into coaching, but rather that Houston or Vancouver aren't the clubs that he landed with.
News & Notes:
- Abby Wambach has been named the US Soccer Female Athlete of the Year for 2010.
- The WNY Flash continue to build a solid roster by signing midfielder McCall Zerboni, goalkeeper Brittany Cameron, and defender Candace Chapman , defender Whitney Engen, and US National Team midfielder Yael Averbuch, along with trading for Caroline Seger from Philadelphia.
- Portland Timbers jerseys are flying off the shelves.
- American Stuart Holden is getting some pub as the best player in the EPL at the midpoint of the 2010-11 season.
- LA visits Seattle in the 2011 MLS season opener.
- If MLS really asked FSC for $20 million to broadcast their games, I hope they couldn't keep a straight face.
- Kasey Keller has a vision for soccer in the US.
- I really hope LA didn't offer Ronaldinho $10 million per year.
- The LA Blues and Orlando City have unveiled their logos.
- Manchester United-Arsenal set an EPL on ESPN ratings record.
- Teal Bunbury is spending some time with Stoke City.
- Charlie Davies' comeback will continue with Sochaux in France.
- The drama of getting a stadium for soccer in Hamilton continues.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.