November 2, 2009
Kick This! - October 31st, 2009
Soccer is a Kick in the Grass - November 1st, 2009
Pat Ercoli was on the radio both days over the weekend to talk about his re-joining the Rhinos organization, this time as the GM and Director of Soccer.
From what Pat said on both shows, it's obvious that he will not only be looking at improving the Rhinos on the field, but he will also be working on improving the organization from a business perspective, as well.
While most people might expect Pat to focus on the soccer team on the field and re-connecting the club with the community, it is obvious that his input into the team will likely be even greater than that.
There will be plenty of time to talk about the head coach that will likely be named in a couple of weeks.
We will have plenty of time to talk about what the roster will look like and whether the team is paying enough on players or not.
Personally, I think that Rob Clark got this one right and Pat Ercoli was the absolutely right person for this job at this time.
My personal belief is if Pat Ercoli and Soccer Sam can't help Rob Clark get this team to a proftiable state at Rhinos Stadium, I don't know if anyone can.
And that is a scary thought for the long term future of pro soccer in Rochester.
News & Notes:
- The Vancouver Whitecaps are getting an early start on the 2010 season, regardless of which league they will be playing in. Although, Geordie Lyall won't be a part of the club after retiring.
- Here is another great list of To Do items from Peter Wilt. And I love the relating of them directly to FC Dallas. I can't wait for someone to take this and apply it to their club!
- Beckham back to AC Milan is a done deal.
- Speaking of selecting coaches, here is an interesting look at foreign vs local coaches. Personally, I prefer coaches with at least a history in coaching in North America before they get an MLS or USL job.
- Clint Dempsey puts the nail in the Liverpool coffin over the weekend.
- Perhaps the Rhinos should call up Luis Gil and offer him a full ride to Aquinas to play here?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.