May 21, 2008
Rhinos defender Scott Palguta earned a spot on the USL 1st Division Team of the Week with his game tying goal in Seattle.
Also on the Team of the Week were former Rhino midfielder Jonathan "Don't call me Jonny" Steele and Charleston Battery forward Randi patterson who scored the lone goal on Saturday night.
Carolina RailHawks goalkeeper Chris McClellan was named to the Team of the Week for his six saves in a scoreless draw at home versus the Minnesota Thunder.
Seattle's Josh Gardner was named the USL 1st Division Player of the Week. But,that was more for his two goals in Seattle's 4-2 win versus Atlanta than his assist versus the Rhinos.
Hopefully this is the week that the Rhinos place more players on the Team of the Week than their opponents do!
News & Notes:
- Bob Bradley has named his 22 man roster for the upcoming friendly versus England. Landon Donovan will likely get his 100th USMNT cap at Wembley Stadium. Not too bad....
- Miami FC's backline just got better as SBI.net and Big Apple Soccer.com are both reporting that Eric Brunner has signed with the USL 1st Division club after the NY Red Bulls voided his contract to sign Andrew Boyens. With Brunner and Avery John on board, Zinho's defense should be stouter moving forward. My guess is that Brunner will make more with Miami than he would have as a developmental player in NY.
- Vancouver isn't the only USL market north of the border that Don Garber is playing footsie with. The Don was at the opener for the new Saputo Stadium in Montreal.
- In a stunning announcement, Abby Wambach was called into USWNT camp leading up to the Peace Queen Cup.
- Steve Morrow is out as FC Dallas head coach after getting beaten 5-1 by the LA Galaxy over the weekend. Michael Lewis speculates on who the next head coach to go will be. This would be my first guess ......
- Petr Cech has a new outfit, the stadium has required a new playing surface, and Beckham will be like a lot of other fans around the world when Chelsea and ManU square off in the CL final today at around 2:45pm.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.