October 22, 2008
It's been a slow soccer news day, so I'm going to be lazy and throw out the best news nuggets of the day:
- Montreal moved through to the CONCACAF Champions League Knock Out stage with a 1-1 home draw with CD Olimpia. And I'm sorry, but I hate Montreal too much to have any sort of USL pride about what they are doing.
- DC United saw both of their goalkeepers get ejected in a 2-0 loss at Cruz Azul in CCL play last night. DC was so thin for last ngiht's game that Ben Olsen was an assistant coach and Quavas Kirk finished the match in goal.
- The No Short Corners blog goes out on a limb when they say that St. Louis is the best bet to land a 2011 MLS expansion team. I think Montreal is waaaaay ahead of the pack with Portland and Miami vying for the second spot.
- Here is an interesting take on year 2 for Toronto FC. Will Chad Barrett growinto a difference making forward for Toronto? Or, will they need to spend DP bucks to land a goal scorer? I'd bet on the latter being the answer.
- I don't know what is worse to think about for LA Galaxy fans, the state of the team this year or the boatload of rumors that Beckham's impending loan to AC Milan may not just be about staying sharp during the MLS off season.
I wonder how many tears will be shed if this is Beckham's last season in LA?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.