The good luck of the USWNT at the Beijing Olympics continued today when Natasha Kai's overtime goal sent the Americans through to the Olympic semifinals.
Today's match was interrupted by a weather delay that lasted over ninety minutes.
And while the US entered the delay up 1-0 thanks to an Angela Hucles goal, Canada's Christine Sinclair knotted things at one less than 10 minutes after the game started back up.
The match remained scoreless until the 101st minute when Kai converted the cross sent in by Shannon Boxx. Boxx not only assisted on the game winner, but she was named the Woman of the Match, and gained her 100th cap.
The US will get to play Japan, whom they defeated 1-0 in group play, in Monday's semifinal that will be broadcast on MSNBC at 9am ET.
Apparently the Rhinos jumped the gun when they had Andrew Gregor sit out the game in Puerto Rico versus the Islanders as he was supposed to sit the return leg at PAETEC Park on Sunday.
Worst case scenario is that the Rhinos have to give up the point earned in the tie with Puerto Rico on Sunday and Gregor will have to sit out another game.
I'd hate to see what happens if the Rhinos do have to surrender that point and they miss the playoffs by a point........
News & Notes:
- The LA Times has some speculation on who the next Galaxy head coach could be. I'd love to see Paul Mariner get a shot,but I'm not sure that job is the right one for him. I think Peter Nowak would be a good fit, though.
- SBI.net is reporting that the Red Bulls are looking to make a trade that will give up a player off their roster for allocation funds to land Atlanta Silverbacks forward Macoumba Kandji.
- Kasey Keller has signed with his hometown Seattle Sounders FC for the 2009 MLS season.
- Cleetus is officially back in MLS after Real Salt Lake acquired his rights from LA.
- Speaking of Denmark, Rhinos Women goalkeeper Joy McKenzie is headed to Denmark after the WPS Combine for W-League players early next month.
- Maurice Edu could be joining Run DMB with Glasgow Rangers per Steven Goff.
- Grant Wahl has a Q&A at SI.com with US Soccer president Sunil Gulati. If they cut Pia Sundhage loose after what she's done this past year, I think they would be making a mistake.
- Atlanta and Miami made a significant trade yesterday with Ansu Toure headed to Miami and Sean Cameron headed to Atlanta. Miami would seem to get better right away as Cameron is currently out injured.
- In an interesting move, Vancouver cut their backup goalkeeper Serge Djekanovic loose. The did call up a residency player as their back up goalkeeper in Simon Thomas. I wonder if they are freeing up a foreigner spot for another move that they will be making soon.....
- We are scheduled to have Rhinos head coach Darren Tilley, newly re-signed defender Kenney Bertz, and forward Johnny Menyongar on tomorrow's edition of Kick This!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.