July 15, 2008
It appears that Pat Onstad will get named to the MLS roster for the All-Star game in Toronto.
New England Revolution head coach Steve Nicol is also the coach of the MLS All-Star team that will take on West Ham United next Thursday evening at BMO Field in Toronto. He is expected to add not only Pat Onstad, but NY Red Bulls forward Juan Pablo Angel and New England Revolution midfielder Steve Ralston to the MLS All-Star roster.
New England's Matt Reis was voted the team's starting goalkeeper and one would expect that both goalkeepers would play a half.
I wonder if Pat will make his way to PAETEC Park the following evening as the Rhinos honor Pat Ercoli and take on the Montreal Impact?
News & Notes:
- Devo has a nice article in today's D&C some of the things that Abby Wambach is doing off the field to help kids.
- We are now two months away from finding out where Abby will play in the WPS next season.
- SBI.net is saying that the Brian McBride to Chicago deal appears to be dead for now. This is just another example of the single entity system andMLS player allocation rules getting in the way.
- Real Salt Lake's in first place?!?!?!?! How did that happen?
- The US Department of the Treasury doesn't want Sam's Army to support the boys when they play in Cuba during World Cup qualifying. I wish I had the money to make the trip.....
- Steven Goff is saying that Brian McBride, Brad Guzan, and Michael Parkhurst could be the three overagers on the US Olympic team. It's not the likes of Messi and Ronaldinho, but they are interesting picks. Especially Captain America.
- TIAS.com has a very interesting piece on Mexican-American soccer players getting a shot to ply their trade in Mexico. It's sad that the powers that be in MLS focus more on athletes than soccer players.
- Ridge Mahoney's latest at SI.com talks about the influx of Argentine talent into MLS.
- Fox Sports.com's Jamie Trecker takes a look at the USL getting a team into the US Open Cup final for the first time since 1999.
- Some say soccer is a religion. Former New England Rev Chase Hilgenbrinck might disagree.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.