December 15, 2008
On Saturday, we were lucky to have Rhinos defender John Ball in studio to help out as Sam was at Eastview Mall for the Camp Good Days and Special Times kazoo sale and Jeff was on his way to Syracuse to cover an Orange men's basketball game.
John was great when we were talking to him about last season and what he's up to this off season since he's having his first real off season since before his senior season at Southern Connecticut State.
But, things went from good to great when we got Ross Smith on the phone.
From John asking Ross about wearing a speedo to Ross finally letting John know how long it took to find his car when John hid it one day, it was classic stuff.
The Rhinos need to give John a podcast next season.
DeRo is going back home
Toronto FC sent young defender Julius James and allocation money to Houston for Canadian international midfielder and Scarborough, Ontario native Dwayne De Rosario.
On the Houston side, James appears to be slotted to replace Bobby Boswell at center back as Boswell is currently out of contract and there have been rumors that he is looking to make a move to Europe.
On the Toronto FC side, the team adds not only a major MLS game changer, but also a home grown talent that is psyched about getting to return home and play in MLS.
This very well could be one of these deals that benefits both teams. But right now, you have to like Toronto FC's end of the deal as they have the game changer involved in the deal.
The one wild card will be how do DeRo and Amado Guevara gel in the Toronto midfield.
News & Notes:
- Captain Scott Vallow and Rex represented the Rhinos at Friday's Food for Families Food Drive by Foodlink.
- USWNT head coach Pia Sundhage has been given a contract extension to last through the 2012 Olympics. Given how she rallied her team to the gold medal in Beijing, it's a contract that was earned.
- The USWNT defeated China 1-0 thanks to Tina Ellertson's first career international goal.
- Kansas City Wizards midfielder Jack Jewsbury has his recap on the 2008 Wizards season up.
- Kenney Bertz is a happy camper today as his Maryland Terrapins took home the men's soccer national title over the weekend.
- Just to keep the boss happy, I have to post this link to SBI.net talking about the indoor season getting started.
- Steven Goff is saying that not only is LA interested in Dema Kovalenko, but also FC Dallas midfielder Dax McCarty.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.