June 16, 2010
It wasn't the best performance ever. But, the Rhinos certainly took care of business against the Dayton Dutch Lions of the PDL as they advanced to the 2nd Round of the 2010 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup tournament thanks to a 2-0 win.
Bob Lilley changes things up in the midfield and up top and it led to Tino Nunez opening the scoring with a nice little chip and then Jamie Franks converting a PK that was called when Anthony Hamilton was taken down in the Dayton box.
The Rhinos were never able to extend the lead. But, they didn't need to as Scott Vallow and the Rhinos defense were able to keep the sheet clean.
Next up, the Rhinos head to Montreal for a Sunday afternoon league match before hosting the Pittsburgh Riverhounds at home in the 2nd round of the Open Cup.
News & Notes:
- Jonathan Wilson says that the US will face a carbon copy of themselves in Slovenia.
- The USA 10 Kit isn't scared of Slovenia.
- Clint Dempsey likes his team's fight. So do I.
- Nike Inside the Pro looks at Michael Bradley.
- Here is a cool post of a US fan in South Africa.
- I wonder who will be Abby's first pick?
- If you want to know MLS salaries for 2010, here you go.
- DC United has a new DP. Hopefully he's better than one of the last DPs.....
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.