May 18, 2007
The Rhinos take their 2-2-2 record into Seattle's Qwest Field to take on the 1-3-2 Sounders tonight.
On the injury and suspension front, defender Chris Aloisi (concussion) and T-Bone Bonseu (red card suspension) are out for tonight's match. Aaran Lines and Josh Bolton flew to the west coast yesterday to provide two more healthy bodies as the Rhinos try to weather the storm on the road before hosting Miami FC next Sunday night.
Mike Ambersley is expected to get his first start of the season with Johnny Menyongar moving up top next to Matthew Delicate. Ambersley is coming back from a badly bruised foot that kept him out of the Rhinos lineup until last weekend's games on the west coast.
More on Bob Bradley hire
- Landon Donovan is on board with the Bradley hire.
- Paul Kennedy at Soccer America talks about Bradley's ideas on team building and Bob bringing up the Miracle on Ice and the 2006 World Cup Champs from Italy.
- Robert Wagman at Soccer Times.com talks about Sunil Gulati and the road not taken.
Other US Soccer News and Notes
- CONCACAF has listed some rosters for this summer's Gold Cup. But, don't believe the US roster. US Soccer is expected to announce their roster within a couple of weeks. But, CONCACAF wanted something earlier. So, US Soccer sent a list of 39 players and CONCACAF picked 23 players off that list and put it on their website.
- GolTV as acquired the English language broadcast rights for this summer's Copa America. So, US Soccer fans won't have to watch the games with Spanish broadcasters.
- Reading goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann will not be a part of the US squads at either the Gold Cup nor the Copa America. Hahnemann is taking the summer off to recover from some injuries that have piled up in his first EPL campaign.
MLS Stadium News
- The Houston Dynamo are looking at building a stadium in downtown Houston. Glenn Davis says that the location is much better than the one that was chosen for PAETEC Park.
- BMO Field is undergoing emergency repairs as fans have turned in about a half-dozen objects that have led the grandstand builder to check every connection and add locking nuts. I guess there is a downside to having a rabid fanbase at games?
- If you want customized gear from the Rhinos or any other USL club, you can get it from USL.stagr.com. I wonder how long it will be before someone has a "We Hate Montreal" Rhinos t-shirt?
- The California Victory have signed defender Ryan Suarez. Rhinos fans last saw Suarez at the 2006 USL 1st Division Final as a member of Vancouver's defense. It will be interesting to see if he can help a Calfornia defense that has allowed 5 goals in 2 games.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.