January 5, 2012
Since my last post, the Lancers defeated Norfolk 26-10 at home, they lost a close game to Milwaukee at home 10-6, they lost in the last minute to in Norfolk 18-16, and they defeated Norfolk at home on Monday afternoon 24-11.
The Lancers are currently a half-game behind Syracuse for the final playoff spot in the MISL's Eastern Division at 6-7. The Lancers are 6-2 vs Syracuse and Norfolk and 0-5 against the rest of the league so far this season. The Lancers have only 3 games remaining this season versus those two teams (@ Syracuse 1/21, @ Norfolk 1/29, & vs Syracuse 2/12).
If the Lancers are going to make the playoffs, they need to start getting some wins against the other teams in the league. Their next chance will be when they travel to Baltimore on Saturday night.
Mauricio Salles has received a couple of MISL honors over the past two weeks. First, it was a Player of the Week Award and then it was the MISL Offensive Player of the Month for December.
Devo thinks that Salles is a top MVP candidate. But, that will take a hit if the Lancers have a losing record and miss the playoffs.
But, Salles is leading the league in scoring right now and that will definitely help his case. Although, the Lancers do have 4 players in the top 8 in league scoring today.
- The MISL is happy with attendance so far this season.
- Baltimore has signed veteran midfielder Ricardinho.
- Missouri has picked up MLS veterean MF Craig Rocastle.
- Syracuse signed F Anthony Maher who has played in Syracuse before with the Salty Dogs.
- Wichita cut indoor veteran F Carlos "Chile" Farias. Farias was 2nd in the MISL scoring with five games to go in the 2010-11 season when he was released by the Omaha Vipers. It's also interesting that most teams won't speak publicly about why they have let him go.....
Other News & Notes:
- Rochester native Brian Bliss will assist the US U-20 coaching staff.
- The WNY Flash signed USWNT MF Lori Lindsey this week, with the earlier signing of Allie Long in the midfield, it will be interesting to see if the Flash change their style of play in 2012 from the 4-3-3 that they played in 2011. Lindsey is the 4th WNY Flash player that was namedto the 29 player USWNT Olympic Qualiftying Camp roster along with Ashlyn Harris, Whitney Engen, and Alex Morgan.
- It looks like Yael Averbuch will not be back with the Flash with sources telling Jeff Kassouf that she's heading to the Atlanta Beat.
- Tim Howard didn't celebrate his wind aided goal for Everton yesterday because he felt bad for the otehr keeper. Howard is definitely a classy guy.
- Landon Donovan played his first game on loan for Everton yesterday and got some respect when the TV announcers said he wasn't a diver.
- It looks like David Beckham might be back with the Galaxy after all.....
- Thierry Henry could be going on loan to Arsenal.
- Speaking of which, this video entitled "If Americans Invented Soccer" is hilarious.
- USMNT MF Jermaine Jones is being called the nastiest player in German soccer.
- The Free Beer Movement is looking to grow in 2012.
- Here is a cool sit down interview with USMNT & Fulham F Clint Dempsey.
- Preston Zimmerman has ripped Jurgen Klinsmann on Twitter. And his takes definitely have some merit. The rubber will meet the road for Klinsmann as the USMNT coach once World Cup qualifying kicks off.
- It looks like the Colorado Rapids will hire Oscar Pareja as the team's next head coach.
- The USMNT may be playing a friendly versus Italy in late February.
- Wilmer Cabrera is out as the US U-17 coach.
- Eddie Johnson joined Puebla and then was cut by Puebla before you even knew it.
- Steve Davis looks at the US Soccer storylines for 2012.
- Could the LA Vikings be in the mix for future WPS expansion to the west coast?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.