January 25, 2010
I want to ignore the debacle of the US losing to Honduras Saturday night.
So, how about a round up the truth and rumors of player comings and goings?
- Seattle may be losing forward Fredy Montero . It will be interesting to see what Sigi Schmid does for an encore in Seattle if he were to lose Montero & Ljungberg.
- Stuart Holden has signed with Bolton for the remainder of the season. It will be interesting to see if he can have a Donovan-esque impact with Bolton . But like Dominic Kinnear says, it's all about geting playing time first and foremost.
- The Tampa Bay Rowdies have signed New Zealand international MF Jeremy Christie. I wonder how many games he'll get in for the Rowdies in 2010 with the World Cup looming?
- Apparently Manchester United haven't maxed out all their credit cards as they are set to offer Wayne Rooney a new deal.
- The USWNT 's Aly Wagner has opted to hang up her boots.
- Robinho wants to leave Manchester City for Santos. He may even be willing to take a pay cut to make it happen. If that move happens, that could add some serious starpower to the Red Bull Arena opener between NY & Santos. Although, his boss may have other ideas.....
- Puerto Rico Islanders goalkeeper Bill Gaudette is in camp with the NY Red Bulls.
News & Notes:
- Hopefully Paraguay & Club America striker Salvador Cabanas after he was shot in the head in a Mexican bar.
- Bruce Arena has also been named to the 2010 Class of the US Soccer Hall of Fame. I think that is a no-brainer.
- Another cool way to help out Haiti is to bid on the boots that Jonathan Bornstein wore when he scored the goal heard round Honduras.
- I wonder how many of the top 25 USL-1 players of the 2000s decade will have spent time with the Rhinos? Numbers 21 through 25 are out and two are ex-Rhinos: Mauricio Salles & Ze Roberto.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer was at the NSC Minnesota Supporters Summit. I think most of the teams in the NASL & USSF D2 could look at the list of comments that resonated amongst the attendees and see how their club does in addressing these requests. IMS.com also has a look at what the status is of the 2009 Minnesota Thunder players.
- Could the NY Cosmos be an NASL team of the future?
- IMS.com also talks about the rumor that the USSF D2 schedule is coming this week along with some tidbits of how the schedule will lay out.
- The Cary News has a piece on the state of the NASL. I still have a hard time calling the NASL a league right now as they won't have a 2010 season.
- And people complain about the media here in the US going over the line...... I can't believe I'm typing this, but I feel bad for Beckham.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.