During Saturday's edition of Kick This!, Devo talked to Rhinos GM Pat Ercoli, Rhinos assistant coach Bill Sedgewick, Lancers head coach & Rhinos GK coach Billy Andracki, and WNY Flash assistant coach and former Rhinos GK Scott Vallow about Bob Lilley's decision to take the 2012 season off for personal reasons and Lilley's impact on the team and themselves.
The interesting part to me was the talk that Lilley really enjoyed his time here and that he'd like to return to the Rhinos if the opportunity is there. Also, Ercoli talked about how he told Bob to take an MLS assistant job if it is offered this year and that Bob shouldn't worry about taking the whole year off because he told the Rhinos that was what he was going to do.
Ercoli also expects 10 to 12 players on the 2011 Rhinos roster to return in 2012, which is similiar to the player retention from 2010 to 2011. I wonder if that means that Bill Sedgewick is the front runner for the head coaching job as I would expect an outside candidate to want to re-make the roster again.
News & Notes:
- The Original Winger has the video of Hope Solo on Dancing With The Stars.
- The Original Winger has the highlights of the US-Canada match from the weekend featuring Abby Wambach's goal.
- All White Kit breaks down the US-Canada match.
- ESPNW talks about how the USWNT tweaked it's formation in the match.
- The Original Winger also has a 1 on 1 with USWNT coach Pia Sundhage.
- The Original Winger has video of Alex Morgan throwing out the first pitch at a KC Royals game.
- The Original Winger has the video of the USWNT landing in Portland.
- David Beckham went undercover at Target for Ellen.
- Timmy Chandler's agent says that Chandler isn't contemplating a switch to the German National Team.
- MLS is seeing a nice attendance boost in 2011.
- Stuart Holden is expected to play for Bolton today in their Carling Cup match.
- MLS is expected to move to an unbalanced schedule in 2012.
- Gooch scored the game winning goal for Sporting CP over the weekend.
- A 14yo kid from the DC area might be headed to the Arsenal academy.
- And here is another post on MLS to Vegas.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.