While the less than sexy match up has many in the blog-o-sphere yawning , leagues can never guarantee LA vs NY match ups that will make league commissioners and TV execs to get all excited.
The interesting thing will be if this match up stylistically makes for an entertaining match or not. FC Dallas blew out LA 3-0 last night in a game that was entertaining if you weren't rooting for Donovan, Beckham, and their merry crew.
Colorado's 1-0 win over San Jose was less entertaining in general.
One can only hope that the game is a fun watch. Although, who knows how many people will tune in to ESPN at 8:30pm EST on a Sunday evening in the middle of NFL season to find out.....
News & Notes:
- The USWNT has been able to add 4 players to their qualifying roster for the two game series with Italy.
- DC United has parted ways with another DP in Danny Allsopp. DC is one of those teams that has a bad record of DP signings.
- If the KC Wizards do change their name to Sporting Kansas City and this is indeed the new logo, I'm going to laugh. The "re-brand" of KC Wiz to Wizards made sense. But this Dallas Burn to FC Dallas Eurofication re-branding makes me chuckle in disgust. [Update: here is a cleaner version of the leaked logo via UniWatch ]
- Apparently the search for additional investors in the Carolina RailHawks is going well.
- David Fellerath at Indy Week.com is wondering why St Louis was left out of the NASL bid for 2nd Division status.
- The USA 10 Kit wonders what to do about markets that aren't ready for MLS.
- The Original Winger has a link to a one on one with Jurgen Klinsmann.
- Yanks Abroad also talked to Mikkel Diskerud about his call up to the USMNT.
- San Jose's owner talks about the status of their stadium project.
- The Ronaldinho to LA rumor is alive and well.
- Studs Up looks at what's up with the NY Cosmos.
- ESPNLA has a long article on David Beckham.
- Landon Donovan wants MLS to adapt to a more traditional schedule.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.