October 28, 2011
We are one week away from the 2011-12 MISL season kicking off and here are some tidbits:
Devo's Direct Kicks - Lancers radio home is 93.3 FM
MISL.com Syracuse Silver Knights Preview
MISL.com Norfolk SharX Preview
MISL.com Baltimore Blast Preview
The Milwaukee Wave have signed 3 forwards and 3 midfielders as they try and defend their title.
The Wichita Wings had a successful open scrimmage.
The Missouri Comets are going to host a retro game against the Wings at the Sprint Center.
Norfolk added a couple of more players to the roster.
WPS has terminated the magicJack franchise
In news that isn't all that surprising, WPS has terminated the magicJack franchise.
This leaves the league with 5 teams, one of which is searching for investors to allow it to play in 2012 in the Boston Breakers.
There have been a lot of reports that the league is close to a deal to place a team in Connecticut. With this move, I would expect that the deals to keep Boston afloat and to add a team in Connecticut may be close and there may be strings attached with regards to letting magicJack go.
Hopefully this helps solidify the league moving forward. Although, getting rid of an owner with pockets as deep as Dan Borislow's is interesting.
And now the Abby Wambach to WNY Flash rumors can get new life......
News & Notes:
- Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan, and Hope Solo are all finalists for the FIFA World Player of the Year Award, along with Marta.
- Devo has the news that the Rhinos have agreed to terms with team captain Troy Roberts. That is really good news for the Rhinos.
- MLS Soccer.com has an article up on Rochester native Brian Bliss.
- ESPNW looks at how different the off seasons for Hope Solo and Abby Wambach have been.
- The NY Cosmos seem to be in disarray with the front office getting blown up and rumors that Chuck Blazer could get involved.
- DC United & USMNT GK Bill Hamid is off to train with West Brom.
- The LA Galaxy may be getting Donovan and Keane back in time to face the Red Bulls.
- Colorado bounced Columbus from the MLS playoffs last night.
- The Red Bulls bounced FC Dallas in the other Wildcard Playoff match.
- Martin Rennie is on the job in Vancouver now.
- A fan says good bye to Steve Nicol in New England.
- Steve Ralston says that he has yet to be contacted for the Revs coaching opening. Jay Heaps is also reportedly in the mix to replace Nicol.
- Richie Williams was named the USMNT U-18 coach.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.