Through three quarters last night, Doug Miller had outscored the visiting Missouri Comets 12-11 all by himself. Even without scoring in the final 15 minutes, Miller set franchise records for goals (6) and points (12) in a game. The six goals tied the MISL single game record held by Byron Alvarez and his 12 points was one off Alvarez's MISL record for points in a game. Miller also moved into the MISL scoring race lead with 29 points on the season.
It looks like Miller will be on the MISL Team of the Week for two weeks in a row, now.
Mauricio Salles and Andy Tiedt both chipped in with 5 points as the Lancers defeated the Comets 24-17 and at 3-2 moved over .500 for the first time in the franchise's MISL history.
Up next, the Lancers travel to Syracuse this afternoon to take on the Silver Knights. Syracuse is coming off a 13-7 win over Missouri at home on Friday night.
Syracuse made a big move this week when they traded for former MISL MVP Jamar Beasley and Bryan Perez from the Wichita Wings for Andre Berezon and Matt Clare.
News & Notes:
- The LA Galaxy defeated the Houston Dynamo 3-1 yesterday to capture their fourth MLS Cup title.
- LA's D Omar Gonzalez was named the game MVP.
- Landon Donovan broke the all-time MLS scoring record with his PK game winning goal yesterday.
- Beau Dure weighs in on Landon Donovan and whether he ever maxed out what he could have been individually and for US Soccer.
- Traffic Sports have won the marketing rights to the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
- With his LA Galaxy career coming to an end, David Beckham denies that he's headed to the NASL's NY Cosmos next.
- Wondo went from Reserve Team to MLS MVP.
- All three finalists for the 2012 FIFA Women's Player of the Year award have ties to Rochester: Rochester native Abby Wambach and members of the 2011 WNY Flash in Alex Morgan and Marta.
- Beau Dure looks at how the new women's league can market itself.
- Mauro Biello will not get the permanent gig as the Montreal Impact coach if this report turns out to be correct.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.