Johnny Menyongar and Scott Palguta were named to the USL 1st Division 2nd Team yesterday.
The interesting thing is that Menyongar has played as a withdrawn striker for most of the season, but was listed as a midfielder on the team.
There were a bunch of former Rhinos on the two teams with David Hayes, Martin Nash, and Jonathan Steele being named to the first team and Eduardo Sebrango being named to the second team.
The other curiosity to me was that Luke Kreamalmayer finished second in the league in assists to Steele and yet he was left off of both teams.
News & Notes:
- Devo's blog mentions a cool deal for Friday's game: put down a $10 deposit on 2009 season tickets and get in for free!
- The National Soccer Hall of Fame's website has a news story about Abby Wambach's trip there over the weekend.
- I went to sleep after Houston went up 2-0 early in their match against Pumas. Apparently that was a mistake. I feel bad for Pat Onstad after seeing the scoreline.
- Who knew their was an official US Soccer Bar Program ? I didn't....
- Jack Bell at the NY Times breaks down what the new Real Salt Lake stadium means financially for the club.
- The Columbus Dispatch has a piece on the Las Vegas investors that are sniffing around the Crew. SBI.net has a piece about how the team's president is telling fans not to worry. I think Forbes saying that the team wason more solid financial footing would ease fears more.
- KC Wizards goalkeeper Kevin Hartman is the author of a kids book named Boots Saves the Day. I may have to get a copy for my kids for Christmas.....
- With 13 FIFA international match days in 2009 conflicting with MLS match weekends, Don Garber states the obvious in saying that MLS can't schedule around them next year. Seriously, who thinks that soccer in New England, Chicago, Toronto and other places in December through February is a good idea?
OK, the orange match ball division of adidas, put your hands down!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.