Former Rhino Carlos Mendes has re-signed with the NY Red Bulls.
The team is not releasing any details on the contract and it will be interesting to see if it is for longer than the 2009 season.
The Final 4 in Philly
Here are the finalists for the name of the MLS team that might be based outside Philly in 2010:
I would vote for the Chester Cabs since the team's proposed home is being built in Chester, PA.
News & Notes:
- First off, Devo's blog got a makeover and it's looking nice!
- I got a chuckle from the second item in this blog post by Steven Goff.
- Columbus defender Ezra Hendrickson is retiring.
- Montreal is making a change at the back up goalkeeper spot with Andrew Weber out and former Vancouver Whitecap Srdjan Djekanovic signing a to year deal.
- If Lukas Podolski does indeed move, it will be interesting to see how things go if Bayern Munich approaches LA & MLS about keeping Landon Donovan.
- Jack Bell at the NY Times is talking about Marta to LA and says that an announcement could come on Monday.
- Everton is trying really hard to get Jozy Altidore on loan. But thus far, Villareal is holding on to the young American forward.
- SBI.net breaks down a ton of pre-MLS Superdraft trade rumors.
- Is Barca-Miami a done deal with Henry or Puyol coming to South Florida? If this is right, I hope that Henry is the one coming over.
- Beckham's agent says that he is expecting to return to LA after his loan to AC Milan is over with. I wonder what Bruce Arena is REALLY hoping for?
- The RailHawks are going to be playing a pre-season friendly with the New England Revolution. It's too bad that the weather in Rochester doesn't allow for things like this to happen.
- The Montreal Impact will be playing indoors at Olympic Stadium when they host Santos Laguna next month in CONCACAF Champions League play.
- I love the US Soccer.com video section. This clip on goalkeeper training fashion is pretty good.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.