The Chicago Fire do not have a shortage of attacking options with Chad Barrett, Chris Rolfe, Tomasz Frankowski and others up top and Blanco and Justin Mapp as attacking midfielders. But, it appears that with Arlington Heights, Illinois native Brian McBride leaving Fulham FC after five seasons and his desire to return to MLS, that they will be adding a new target forward soon.
Obviously, a move like this is never easy when MLS is involved. First, there is the issue of which team owns McBride's MLS rights. Currently, Toronto FC would be at the head of the allocation line. So, it would appear that Toronto FC would be on the phone with the Fire to talk about a trade for McBride's rights.
Then, you have to negotiate a contract with McBride that will fit in within Chicago's salary cap and within the DP rules as Chicago has used their DP slot to sign Blanco.
It will likely all get worked out in the end with the Fire perhaps having to give up an attacking player or two to add McBride. Either way,it willbe nice to see a player of McBride's calibre back in MLS. Even if it is with the Chicago Fire.....
US falls 2-0 to England
I didn't have extremely high hopes for the US against England. Especially once I saw that Landon Donovan wasn't in the lineup for Bob Bradley's squad. But, I was hoping for a little more than what I saw yesterday.
And I only watched the first half!
I really wonder if this debacle, and the upcoming matches versus Spain and Argentina, really will mean anything in the long run like so many fans and people in the media have been saying.
I hope it does pay dividends in the end, but I don't see it.
Will playing in yesterday's match turn Ricardo Clark or Michael Bradley into the second coming of Claudio Reyna before the 2010 World Cup?
Will it turn Eddie Johnson's potential into game in and gameout results?
I doubt it.......
News & Notes:
- Seattle Sounders FC made the Microsoft deal official yesterday and unveiled a jersey that hurt my eyes. Seriously, who thought the lime green looked good? Drew Carey should have been able to see that ugliness even without his glasses!
- Vancouver defeated Charleston 2-0 and Carolina defeated Seattle 2-1 last night. Check out the video of the RailHawks goals and Coach Schweitzer's take after the game. The Rhinos need to make some breaks like those!
- Speaking of getting a little lucky, Houston got a stoppage time equalizer from DeRo after a Ching header went off the FC Dallas crossbar.
- Chivas USA keeper Brad Guzan is still dreaming of a move to Aston Villa .
- I love SBI.net's take on the Red Bulls new managing director.
- American billionaire George Soros may be on the verge of buying AS Roma after all......
- Looking at the roster of RWB Adria, the Rhinos First Round US Open Cup opponent, I'm getting the tiniest bit worried. With Jamar Beasley and a few other MISL players sprinkled on the roster and the Rhinos offensive woes so far this season, could the June 10th game at PAETEC Park be closer than expected?
I sure hope not!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.