- The MISL has expanded the regular season from 24 to 26 games for the 2012-13 season meaning that the Lancers will play one more home game in year two of the franchise.
- The Rhinos beat SUNY Binghamton 4-0 last Saturday with trialist Danny Earls setting up two of the goals.
- Scott Vallow has been signed as the Rhinos goalkeeping coach replacing Lancers head coach Billy Andracki in that role.
- The Rhinos have signed Chilean MF Gustavo Zamudio. Zamudio is expected to add some skill to a hardworking Rhinos midfield.
- Jeff Kassouf just tweeted that USWNTer Lori Lindsay and Spanish international Adriana have signed with the WNY Flash for the 2012 season.
- Former Rhino MF Tony Donatelli has signed with the Charleston Battery.
Juan Agudelo going down with a knee injury versus Cubs certainly didn't help.
But, this edition of the US U-23 MNT should have had enough talent to not be in the position for one bad play to cost them the chance to move on. The fact that the US lost 2-0 to a Canada squad that struggled in their two other matches was really the game that cost the US the chance to advance.
It will be interesting to see how this failure affects the stock of certain players, especially captain Freddy Adu and Brek Shea.
But, now the USWNT will have to carry the US Soccer banner alone in London.
News & Notes:
- Check out this video of a Cal South State Cup U11 Boys match. If this is the future of American Soccer, I like it!
- Kristine Lilly has joined the Boston Breakers as an assistant coach.
- The NY Fury, led by head coach Paul Riley, has replaced Aztec MA in the WPSL Elite League that the WNY Flash are a member of for 2012.
- Christine Sinclair scored twice as Canada defeated Brazil.
- Check out this goal by Peter Crouch. You're welcome.
- Houston MF Colin Clark has been suspended three games and fined by MLS for an incident in Seattle where he dropped some salty language on a ball boy.
- Liverpool and Roma will play a match at Fenway Park.
- Fulham's former coach doesn't see Clint Dempsey as a good fit with a top 5 EPL club.
- Some of the MLS home openers didn't sell out this year.
- In the latest segment of the Goal.com conversation with Jurgen Klinsmann, he talks about the need for youth players to figure things out on their own. I couldn't agree more.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.