352 caps and 130 goals
Those are two huge numbers and are just the tip of the iceberg when talking about what Kristine Lilly meant to the USWNT over the past two plus decades that she repped the red, white, and blue.
She starting playing with the Nats at the tender age of 16 and walked away at 40.
At a time when other athletes have a hard time finding the right way to call it a career, this seems fitting for a quiet superstar.
News & Notes:
- The I-League has a second franchise in Syracuse. Tommy Tanner's club has yet to unveil things like a name and colors. But, it should make for a nice little I-90 rivalry with the Lancers.
- WPS is OK with the plan for the new Washington Freedom owner to have the club play some games in South Florida.
- The Columbus Crew have lost Glidden as their jersey sponsor.
- Toronto FC hired Aron Winter as the Technical Director/Head Coach and Paul Mariner as the Director of Player Personnel.
- Chivas USA named Robin Fraser as their next head coach.
- The Red Bulls are hoping to get Matt Kassel to sign on the dotted line as a homegrown player.
- Landon Donovan won another US Player of the Year award.
- Soccer America takes a look at how MLS clubs are using their DP slots.
- Here is an update on DC United's stadium and ownership situations and something about a new assistant coach....
- Eric Wynalda likes his new job in Mexico.
- MLS Talk thinks that the Beckham Experiment has run it's course.
- SBI.net takes a look at the latest Beckham loan situation.
- And finally, here is a US Soccer 2010 highlight reel.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.