This much we know: Everton are interested in adding Landon Donovan on loan starting next month. Everton and the LA Galaxy have confirmed that talks have taken place.
What is up for debate is how close are the parties involved in getting the deal done.
Ives Galarcep is reporting that the deal is done. The release on the topic from the LA Galaxy sounds kind of like LA may be shopping the offer around in an attempt to start a bidding war.
Everton's struggles to avoid relegation in the EPL this season could be either really good (they really need help) or really bad (the pressure involved in their situation will mean that they don't want to rock the boat and Donovan won't get meaningful playing time).
Personally, I'd like to see the deal happen. But, we shall see.
Garber visits Montreal
The MLS & Montreal Impact mating dance took place again this week with Don Garber heading to the Great White North to talk to Joey Saputo.
Given that a lot of people expected Montreal to be officially named as an expansion city at MLS Cup and that didn't happen, I'm wondering when the next round of rumors will call for the announcement? The Super Draft and the Opening Kick 2010 might be two popular target dates.
MLS CBA Talks
Ridge Mahoney's piece at SI.com was the scarier piece of the two as he was writing about the "S-Word".
Given the need for the MLS based players to prep for the World Cup, can they afford to strike at the start of the 2010 season?
NASL v USL
- The 24th Minute has some of the most NASL skeptical thoughts I've read in a while.
- The Kartik Report says that the NASL will try and leverage Traffic Sports (the owners of Miami FC) and their relationships with US TV networks to buy airtime for games in 2010. My guess is that GolTV has to be one of the outlets that the NASL is talking to. Unfortunately, GolTV is not on Dish Network, which is my satellite provider currently.
- The Triangle Offense blog has a Cliff's Notes version of some of the recent developments.
News & Notes:
- Adam Spangler from This Is American Soccer.com did a whole bunch of video last week for Nike Soccer.
- Add Raul to the "Big Name to MLS" rumor list.
- Peter Wilt's latest at Pitch Invasion is a Q&A with DC United's Stephen Zack.
- The US may have an off the field victory over England before the World Cup even starts.
- Here is a cool look at the Philadelphia Union open try outs.
- Just when you thought it was safe to get excited about Jermaine Jones......
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.