It wasn't looking good for the Rochester Lancers last night when they were trailing the Chicago Soul 11-6 after three quarters of play.
Chicago was doing a good job of bottling up MISL leading scorer and reigning MISL player of the week Doug Miller and Mauricio Salles who entered the night tied for 5th in league scoring. Each had one goal through 45 minutes of play.
But, Jeremy Ortiz scored the first goal of the quarter. Then defender Stephen Basso scored with Ortiz on as the sixth attacker late to pull the Lancers to within a point.
That set up the dramatic three point game winning goal off of Salles' right boot with 11 seconds left and Ortiz again on as the sixth attacker to give the Lancers the dramatic 13-11 win over the Soul.
The win lifts the Lancers record to 4-3 and into a tie for second place in the league with the Missouri Comets.
The Lancers travel to Milwaukee to face the Wave who at 2-2 are trying to get over .500 themselves. The Wave will get Marcio Leite back tonight. It will be interesting to see how last season's Championship Series MVP improves the defending champs who are off to a slow start.
News & Notes:
- Alex Morgan was named the 2012 US Soccer Female Athlete of the Year.
- MLS unveiled their plans to try and get a stadium built in Queens.
- While Beckham has played his last game for the LA Galaxy, could he be buying the team?
- USWNT F Sydney Leroux is committed to the new women's pro league.
- OK, this is a really cool Christmas tree topper.
- The Vancouver Whitecaps are dropping their W-League team.
- Sébastien Le Toux is back with the Philadelphia Union.
- The NASL's Fort Lauderdale Strikers are trying to get a soccer specific stadium.
- The NY Cosmos will join the NASL for their Fall 2013 season.
- Sacramento is joining the USL PRO League starting in 2014.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.