August 18, 2011
Billy Andracki on The John DiTullio Show
[Disclaimer: There wasn't a press conference to announce it, but I am the Rochester Lancers Director of Public Relations as well as the News Director for SoccerSam.com & Kick This!]
Yesterday the Rochester Lancers unveiled Billy Andracki as the first head coach and general manager in the MISL team's history.
The rest of Andracki's staff was unveiled as well with 4 time Rhinos MVP defender Craig Demmin joining the staff as an assistant coach, and former NASL Rochester Lancer and Rhinos assistant coach Francisco "Poncho" Escos and long time local college and youth coach Billy Ginther also on the coaching staff.
Andracki has been on the job for a couple of months and expects that the roster will have more than a few names that will be familiar to local soccer fans.
The first step in building the roster is this weekend's combine at TSE in Gates. Andracki encouraged any local player that believes that they have the talent to play in the MISL to come on out this weekend.
I can't wait for this ride to continue and for the regular season to get here in November.
WPS unveils league award winners
I didn't participate with the media vote. I was just a part of the online fan vote for the league awards. Here is my breakdown on the awards.
WPS Coach of the Year: Paul Riley - I voted for Aaran Lines, but it was a coin toss between the coaches for the top two teams in WPS and I can understand why Riley captured the award for the second straight season.
USSF Rookie of the Year: Christen Press - I voted for Alex Morgan. But, after looking at how Press produced 8 goals this season, I would have changed my vote.
WPS Defender of the Year: Whitney Engen - I voted for Engen's WNY Flash teammate Ali Riley. But, I think Engen is a solid choice as well.
US Coast Guard Goalkeeper of the Year: Ashlyn Harris - I voted for the WNY Flash goalkeeper and there is no "after further review" on this one.
Michelle Akers Player of the Year: Veronica Boquette - I voted for Christine Sinclair of the WNY Flash. And while Boquette had a huge impact for a portion of the season, I think Sinclair had a huge impact on the Flash as well. Heck, Boquette was 4 goals behind teammate Tasha Kai, so it's not like the Independence didn't have good offensive depth.
magicJack dispatches of Boston to advance to the Super Semifinal in Philly on Saturday
Abby Wambach scored through the run of play and from the penalty spot as magicJack defeated the Boston Breakers 3-1 last night to advance to Saturday's WPS Super Semifinal in Philadelphia against the Independence.
Megan Rapinoe bagged the insurance goal off a nice cut back and cross from WPS Rookie of the Year Christen Press.
Saturday's match will take place at PPL Park in Chester, PA which is the home of the Philadelphia Union of MLS.
News & Notes:
- Tyler Bellamy is done for the year for the Rhinos due to a knee injury picked up in the team's final regular season match.
- Check out how facebook helped the Wichita Wings sign their first player.
- The Missouri Comets have signed defenders Ryan Junge and Stefan Stokic.
- SI.com has a nice article about the WNY Flash up.
- All White Kit has an interview with WNY Flash F Christine Sinclair and another one with WNY Flash technical director Emma Hayes.
- Steven Goff looks at the Dan Borislow and WPS Union grievance situation.
- All White Kit talks to Boston's Meghan Klingenberg who talks about the move north from magicJack. Sort of.....
- The USL Blog looks at Neal Kitson's comeback from his hip injury from a few years ago.
- Jimmy Conrad is hanging up his boots and joining the Chivas USA coaching staff. NBC should be calling his agent pronto!
- US Soccer.com has a behind the scenes video from US-Mexico.
- Carlos Bocanegra makes it three Yanks on Glasgow Rangers.
- There is a Mac Kandji siting with the Rapids last night.
- FC Dallas nabbed the first win in Mexico for an MLS team last night.
- The USA 10 Kit and Soccer America look at what the new young DP rule in MLS means for young Americans.
- Gerard Pique has some strong words for Jose Mourinho after Barca defeated Real Madrid to capture the Super Cup yesterday.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.