With yesterday's announcement that the MISL has joined the USL and there are now 7 teams in the league that the Rochester Lancers will be playing in this winter, there are no more questions about the league and fans can wait to see who is named head coach and the players that the team will sign for their inaugural season.
Devo also talks about how it will make so much sense for the Rhinos and Lancers to start working together. The major players on both sides are talking about how they want to work together. Now we get to wait and see if it happens.
WNY Flash defeat Boston 3-2
Even without a bunch of international players, the Flash were able to remain undefeated thanks to the first two goals of McCall Zerboni's pro career and Brittany Bock who moved up top along with Zerboni. Zerboni was named Equalizer Soccer's player of the week for her efforts.
The win shows the depth of the Flash squad that was without their attacking trio of Marta, Christine Sinclair, and Alex Morgan. Yet, they tied the best offensive output of the season against a Breakers team that was equally short handed.
Now the Flash are looking forward to Sunday's FSC Game of the Week showdown with Abby Wambach and magicJack. This should be fun.
Rhinos defeat Antigua 2-0
Kendall Jagdeosingh and Tyler Rosenlund had some chances in the first half, especially Rosenlund. But, it took until the second half before the Rhinos broke through the Antigua defense as Jagdeosingh (53rd) and Tyler Rosenlund (60th) scored to give the Rhinos their third win of the season and bring the squad back to .500 with a 3-3-0 record.
It was the Rhinos second clean sheet of the season and their second in 2 home matches in 2011.
The Rhinos hope to continue the run of good form at home when they host Orlando City on Friday night.
US Women's National Team News & Notes:
- Abby Wambach ended her 10 game USWNT goal drought as the US defeated Japan 2-0 on Saturday.
- All White Kit has a breakdown of the match.
- Unprofessional Foul thought the US looked good.
- Here are the highlights via The Original Winger.
- You can bid on the jerseys that the USWNT wore against Japan as they raise money for Tsunami relief.
News & Notes:
- John Spencer has some nice quotes following round 1 of the Portland vs Seattle battle in MLS.
- AS Roma may be hot for Landon Donovan.
- Here is Part 1 of the Free Beer Movement interview with SI's Grant Wahl.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.