The scoreline should read Klejstan 3:2 Sweden as Sacha Kljestan's hat trick lead the US past Sweden in a friendly on Saturday night at the friendly confines of The Home Depot Center.
With a rumored deal to Celtic reportedly set to be finalized on Friday, Kljestan played like a man who was playing for a contract.
Kljestan also became only the second player in US Men's National Team history to bag a hat trick in the game where he scored his first national team goal. Given the that the first was Aldo "Buff" Donelli in a 1934World Cup Qualifier, it's fair to say that this doesn't happen every day.
News & Notes:
- Even without a USL 1st Division team in Atlanta, David Hayes is staying put and he has a new gig.
I wonder if he'll move to a USL 1st Division club just before the roster freeze date?
- If you can import a CSV file into your Calendar App of choice (like MS Outlook), then head over to Mark Pallo's website RhinoPit.com and download the 2009 Rhinos schedule.
- Landon Donovan says that Beckham inspired him prior to his latest trip to Germany.
- I love the LA Galaxy going after big name player rumors. The latest says that LA is after Michael Owen since Del Piero is staying with Juventus. The best part is that the article says that LA wants Owen to play with Beckham. I can see the Galaxy going 0 for 2 if that is really the case.
- Portland's MLS bid could be in trouble because Portland's mayor is in some serious hot water.
- Bobby Boswell has re-signed with Houston per Glenn Davis. Pat Onstad must be doing a happy dance.
- It looks like Ronny O'Brien is out of San Jose because San Jose and MLS wouldn't give him the money he wanted.
- Chicago has replaced Chris Armas.
- I love Luis Bueno's latest at SI.com comparing the state of the US and Mexican Men's National Teams.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.