July 29, 2011
It's official, Jurgen Klinsmann is the new head coach of the US Men's National Team.
A press conference will be held on Monday to officially introduce Klinsmann and he will make his debut in two weeks as the US plays Mexico on August 10th in Philadelphia.
Here are some comments that Klinsmann made on ESPN during the last World Cup.
Here is a Grant Wahl piece on why Klinsmann didn't get the job last year.
And here is a Grant Wahl Q&A with Klinsmann during last year's World Cup.
It will be very interesting to see what Klinsmann does with the player pool he has to work with today and what kind of influence he has on player development in the US.
Personally, I would have liked to see Klinsmann get a US Soccer Technical Director type position for a decade to try and improve player development from the ground up.
But, I am hopeful that there is a change in how US Soccer does things as it was reported that Klinsmann didn't take the job a year ago because US Soccer wouldn't give him the power that he was looking for.
It certainly makes the August 10th Mexico match a lot more interesting....
- Grant Wahl has his Klinsmann hire posted to SI.com .
- The Shin Guardian has a re-post on Klinsmann from last year that still fits.
- ESPN.com has a to-do list for Klinsmann.
Bob Bradley out links:
- MLS Talk , Soccer Insider , DailySoccerFix , Unprofessional Foul , Fake Sigi , The Fullback Files , Inside Minnesota Soccer , No Short Corner , The American Outlaws , Soccer America , Yanks Abroad , US Soccer Daily , Dirty Tackle , The Shin Guardian , Noah @ The USA 10 Kit , Brent @ The USA 10 Kit , MLS Talk , and Third Kit have their takes on Bradley getting the boot.
News & Notes:
- Devo has the news that Lenin Steenkamp will be the first member of the Rhinos Hall of Fame. Lenin will be on tomorrow's edition of Kick This! to talk about the honor.
- Today's D&C.com Rhinos gameday article focuses on Connor Tobin who is scheduled to appear on tomorrow's edition of Kick This!, as well.
- Jeff @ Equalizer Soccer has a post with video recapping Abby Week in Rochester.
- Jenna Pel is back with #21-40 of the most valuable players at the WWC.
- Thierry Henry has left Reebok for Puma.
- And in yesterday's news: tweaks for the MLS All-Star game.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.