Soccer Sam just called me and said that Kick This! is now supersized.
We will be on Hot Talk 1280am WHTK from 11am until 1pm every Saturday morning for the rest of the Rhinos season.
The 11am hour will focus on Rhinos soccer with the noon hour consisting of many other things, including a new segment that Sam is working on right now.
This week, the scheduled guests include Rhinos head coach Laurie Calloway, Rhinos forward Mike Ambersley, and Fox Soccer Channel's Max Bretos.
Chase Harrison named USL 1st Division Player of the Week
First year Rhinos goalkeeper Chase Harrison was named the USL 1st Division Player of the Week for his 14 save and 1 goal allowed over 2 games performance in Miami and Puerto Rico.
That gives the Rhinos the last two USL 1st Division Players of the Week with Rhinos forward Matthew Delicate getting the honor last week for his two goals at home versus Miami FC.
I hope this finally ends the Rhinos search for a veteran goalkeeper to replace Harrison as they wait for Scott Vallow to return from his biceps tendon surgery. Vallow is targetting an August 1st return which would get him back in time for the final quarter of the 2007 USL 1st Division schedule.
US Soccer stuff
- US Soccer.com has some cool behind the scenes video from training in SJ and the gameday versus China on Saturday night.
- This Is American Soccer.com has a cool piece on the newly announced US Soccer Development Academy. While something like this looks great on paper, I just hope that all the political and economic pitfalls that similar movement have fallen victim to don't occur again.
- Ives Galarcep has a change of heart on Landon Donovan not wanting to take part in Copa America due to the Galaxy's ever growing schedule due to the arrival of a certain English National Team midfielder. Personally, if US Soccer is putting Copa America as a secondary priority behind the Gold Cup, then I can't blame someone like Donovan for kind of doing the same thing.
This whole situation will once again start up the whole "move MLS to a European calendar" debate as well.
Ex-Rhinos in MLS
- Carlos Mendes is excited to head to BMO Field for the first time. It will be interesting to see if the Red Bulls take out their frustration from their 3-2 loss to the Wizards on Toronto FC.
- Pat Onstad has had an eventful week. First he was red carded in a 2-1 win over FC Dallas and then he was called up by the Canadian National Team for the Gold Cup. Pat joins former Montreal Impact and current Toronto FC goalkeeper Greg Sutton on the Canadian roster.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.