Abby Wambach and Christine Sinclair both scored in their teams' quaterfinal wins. Wambach's goal made it five straight Olympic matches with a goal for the Rochester native. Wambach's goal was the 142nd of her USWNT career and pulls her to within 16 of Mia Hamm's record. Sinclair's goal was the 140th of her Canadian WNT career. The pair currently sit second and third all-time in goals scored in international competition.
The US was given an injury scare against New Zealand when Alex Morgan collided with the Kiwi GK. But, she appears to be good to go for Monday.
Monday we will get to see another classic match up between the two with a berth in the Gold Medal Game on the line.
As Bart Scott says, "Can't wait!"
Three years, three leagues, three titles for the Flash
Injuries to some of the Chicago Red Stars key players played a role , but the WNY Flash were able to take the WPSL Elite League title on PKs last Saturday.
Toni Pressley scored the equalizer in stoppage time to send the match to added extra time and Angela Salem scored the clinching PK for the Flash.
The WPSL Elite Championship trophy joins the 2011 WPS Championship trophy and the 2010 W-League Championship trophy in the Flash's trophy case.
Rhinos fall 1-0 to Orlando City
Jamie Watson was able to break through and score the lone goal last evening as the USL PRO League regular season champion Orlando City faced the Rhinos at Sahlen's Stadium.
The win puts Orlando City up 18 pts on the second place Rhinos.
The match featured 4 cautions and 2 ejections against both teams. The cards will mean that JC Banks (red card) will miss next weekend's match up with the 3rd place Charleston Battery. The Rhinos will also be missing Tyler Rosenlund and Tam McManus due to yellow card accumulation.
The Rhinos did have their chances in this match. Especially late in the 2nd half when there were a couple of scrambly plays in front of the Orlando goal. But, Watson was the only player to take his chance and put it away and that was the difference in the match.
News & Notes:
- Is Alex Morgan's rise really under-appreciated?
- Rhinos D George Kyriazis and MF Danny Earls were named to the USL PRO League Team of the Week.
- Ricardo Clark is headed back to the Houston Dynamo.
- Carlos Bocanegra is not headed to MLS just yet.
- New England traded captain Shalrie Joseph to Chivas USA.
- DC United is hoping to begin construction on a new stadium next year.
- Toronto FC has added Irish D Darren O'Dea.
- DC United's Andy Najar has some English clubs looking at him.
- GolTV will broadcast the next three US Open Cup finals.
- Roberto Carlos has hung his boots up.
- Sagu has left the MISL's Baltimore Blast for the PASL's Dallas Sidekicks.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.