December 2, 2008
It's been a surprisingly busy news day today:
- Devo talks about the Shootout, Cleveland to the USL 1st Division, and Kandji moving for a buck.
- MLS has announced all the home openers for 2009.
- Steven Goff has the latest in C'bus with Schelotto back, Chad Marshall possibly heading to Germany, and Schmid talking to the Sounders on Thursday.
- The Columbus Dispatch also has an update on the Big 3 items of the Crew's offseason, along with an op-ed piece on if the Crew can't retain the reigning MLS Coach of the Year.
- Kristine Lilly has been called into USWNT camp.
- Steven Goff's Tuesday Kickaround talks about how Dema Kovalenko could be on the move to LA. That would be an awesome move by Bruce Arena and company.
- The Crew aren't the only HSG MLS club with issues this off season. FC Dallas is messing with Kenny Cooper and Pablo Ricchetti. Kenny Cooper might be saying all the right things, but he can't be happy on the inside.
- The Miami Herald has a nice interview with one of the big players in the Barca-Miami MLS bid. There were also some interesting quotes from Don Garber about how great the presentations by Vancouver and Ottawa were. But, he's also made comments recently about whether MLS wants to grow their presence north of the border any more......
- Barca's CEO is pretty high on their chances for getting the team in Miami.......
- According to SBI.net , Chad Marshall and Michael Parkhurst might not be the only big name MLS defenders heading to Europe.
- I like this take on Landon Donovan's trip to Bayern Munich. Although, I've usually been more of a Donovan backer than basher....
- There were the expected puff pieces about the Philly MLS stadium groundbreaking. But, it wasn't all hugs and kisses as this piece wonders how the current economic downturn will affect things.
- It looks like there could be a bidding war brewing for Gooch's services.
- The Bald Yank could be headed back to the EPL with Tottenham.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.