September 16, 2009
Don't take my word for it.
Spend a few minutes to read the latest post at Pitch Invasion by Chicago Red Stars CEO Peter Wilt.
It is really, really good.
TOA & MLS(2)???
While this latest nugget on the TOA situation will likely get a lot of internet play, I can't believe that MLS will seriosuly consider a promotion/relegation situation.
Current and future members of MLS have invested way too much money to risk dropping from MLS to a 2nd division.
And I can't see teams paying a full MLS share to join a 2nd division.
It will also be interesting to see how seriously MLS considers joining forces with USL breakaway teams. The fact that Vancouver and Montreal are a part of the group will help gets Don Garber's ear. But, I can also see MLS not wanting to take on the problems involved with running a 2nd division right now.
I'm sure the MLS brass have their hands full with things like the CBA talks, their TV deals, getting a stadium for DC United, attendance issues in the markets that have seen 25%+ decreases in 2009 and other issues.
News & Notes:
- Yanks Abroad talks about the Jermaine Jones injury while MLS Talk ponders whether he even has a future with the USMNT. I thought that was a given the way that so many USMNT supporters were slobbering over the news that he was making the switch to repping the Red, White, and Blue.
- Does Mr. White want to stay in Chicago beyond this season after all?
- Mourinho on Capello . Feel the love!
- Ives Galarcep takes his shot at which 23 players look to be heading to the 2010 World Cup for the US.
- Apparently DeRo isn't buying rumors that TFC will have natural grass at BMO Field in 2010 until he sees it.
- Drew Carey made an appearance on the Late Late Show. And you know that they had to talk a little footie.
- WPS had their expansion draft for Philly and Atlanta yesterday.
- The chief at Chelsea is going to step down? No way.....
- Grant Wahl chats with Tim Howard and Tim doesn't say that John Wolyniec is the best striker he's ever played against? No way!
- Lee Nguyen is training with Arsenal per Yanks Abroad.
- I can't wait for the Dorothy jokes for Daniel Hernandez after this article at MLSNet.com.
- If you want to help Ethan Zohn do something cool, click here.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.