It doesn't look like the big investor announcement will take place today as I have yet to see the Rhinos send out a email to local media saying that they are having a press conference today.
I still like my guess from last week where I said that tomorrow will be the day.
But, the teases on the new investor front wasn't the only news that broke on Saturday.
Scott Palguta's agent came on the show and said that he is working to get paperwork signed that will allow Scott to go to NY Red Bulls training camp.
Apparently Red Bulls Sporting Director Jeff Agoos is high on Palguta and he is the driving force to get Palguta invited to camp. With a new head coach in place in NY, it will be interesting to see if that hurts or helps Palguta's chances at making the jump to MLS.
Hoepfully we will have Scott on Kick This! in the next 2 or 3 weeks to talk about this news.
Also, Coach Calloway said that he needed to talk to Kenney Bertz "about the DC situation". I e-mailed Steven Goff, the Washington Post's DC United beat writer, about whether he had heard anything about Bertz and DC United. Unfortunately, Goff hadn't heard anything. But, given that Bertz is merely a potential training camp invitee from the USL, I doubt that means all that much.
Getting Lorea re-signed will be an even higher priority this off season if the club loses both Palguta and Bertz to MLS.
News & Notes:
- US Soccer.com has an article saying that new USWNT coach Pia Sundhage has chosen Christie Rampone as the new captain to replace Kristine Lilly. I wonder what Abby Wambach thinks of the choice?
- The San Jose Mercury News has some tidbits on the Joe Cannon to the EQuakes trade. I wonder who they will try and trade the #1 pick for?
- It looks like the Ian Joy to Real Salt Lake move is going to happen soon.
- It looks like the Houston Dynamo are close to finalizing a deal for their own stadium. It's about time that the team that has won MLS Cups in their first two years in Houston and their fans get what they deserve.
- Steven Goff is saying that Eddie Johnson has left USMNT camp and that he could be headed to.........Fulham! Clint Dempsey had to be lobbying hard for his USMNT buddy.
- Montreal has re-signed Nevio Pizzolitto for 2008. This is as good a reason as any to say WE HATE MONTREAL!!!!!
- Soccer by Ives.net is saying that Don Garber is confident about Miami getting an expansion team. What is the cliche about people that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it?
- Michael Bradley is on fire with SC Heerenveen. He scored his 11th goal of the season over the weekend in his team's 2-2 draw.
- Greg Lalas' latest edition of 3-5-2 over at Goal.com has a unique take on the Cleetus to Greece move. Maybe Clint like baklava alot?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.