Puerto Rico advanced past Honduran champs Marathon with a 1-0 road victory last evening.
New Islander Nicholas Addlery scored the loan goal of the match in stoppage time to salt away the victory for Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico will now face Mexico's Cruz Azul in the semifinals.
The Montreal Impact face Santos Laguna tonight with a semifinal date with Atlante on the line.
Montreal enters the match with a 2-0 lead thanks to their home victory in front of 55,000 plus fans at Olympic Stadium last week.
It would be awesome to see the USL get two teams into the semifinals with MLS falling out of the competition with Houston falling to Atlante.
News & Notes:
- Fox Sports.com's Jamie Trecker chimes in with his two cents on the Beckham loan agreement.
- Andrew Keh has a nice crack back on Becks.
- What now for Miami soccer ? Might I suggest a playing of taps?
- And while Vancouver is celebrating, St. Louis is confident that they will win one of the two bids. The best case scenario for the USL would have been Miami and St. Louis getting the two teams. But right now, I think the best that the USL can hope for is St. Louis and one of Vancouver and Portland.
- 3 black eyes for MLS? Well, I can see two. But, I think Miami-Barca failing now is a blessing. I'm not bullish on Miami as a pro sports town. Ditto for Atlanta and that's why it was a good thing for MLS when Arthur Blank pulled out as well.
- It looks like San Jose is back in the market for a midfielder.
- DC United and the Washington Freedom will play three doubleheaders in 2009.
- Landon Donovan is asking fans for questions about his time at Bayern at LD.com. I'd hate to be the person that has to filter through those!
- Takayuki Suzuki and Shaun Higgins have re-signed with Portland.
- Lawrence Olum has left Portland for Minnesota.
- Since the U-20s call out the names of candies, I wonder if the full USMNT calls out the names of like luxury cars?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them