September 18, 2009
In what could be a USL 1st Division playoff preview, the Rhinos host the Charleston Battery this evening.
It will be interesting to see if the Rhinos can enter the playoffs on a high note after playing Miami FC to a scoreless draw last Sunday afternoon.
Portland clinched the regular season title and a first round bye thanks to a 2-1 home win versus Cleveland last evening. The win ended a three game home losing streak for the Timbers.
News & Notes:
- Devo tells us what he really feels about the latest "news" that the TOA is talking to MLS.
- Ridge Mahoney talks to MLS President Mark Abbott about 2010 World Cup break.
- MLS Talk ponders whether Gooch's move to AC Milan was a bad one.
- Yanks Abroad talks about how Europe is always better.
- Steve Davis thinks that Heath Pearce's stock is rising and Gooch's is falling ahead of next year's World Cup.
- Greg Seltzer talks to Heath Pearce about his move to FC Dallas.
- Bob Lenarduzzi believes that MLS will be changing their roster rules by 2011.
- If you want to know why FC Dallas doesn't have a jersey sponsor, check this out.
- Steve Nash trained with the Vancouver Whitecaps PDL squad.
- MLS Talk takes an interesting angle on what it will take to grow soccer in the US.
- Taylor Twellman is done for the year in New England.
- SI.com has a look at Portland's road ahead to make the jump to MLS.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.