October 23, 2010
Inside Minnesota Soccer.com had this report that the Austin Aztex could be moving to Orlando, Florida for the 2011 season.
Austin gave this response basically not really denying, but not confirming the report.
WV Hooligan analyzes the news as well.
If Austin is moving to the USL PRO League for 2011, it would make sense to be located in a city that is a shorter trip to markets like Charleston, Richmond, and Charleston.
And while some fans may bemone financial decisions trumping soccer ones, the US has some unique challenges. For instance, the longest trip in the EPL would be a short one for Minnesota or Austin this past season.
The next question is whether Steve Donner resurfaces with the USL if Austin does relocate to Orlando.
News & Notes:
- If Jaime Moreno can score a goal for DC tonight , he will retire as #1 by himself on the all time MLS goal scoring list.
- Add CJ Brown to the list of players hanging up their boots at the end of this season.
- Jonathan Bornstein is playing his last MLS game for a while this weekend. He isn't retiring, but rather moving south of the border.
- Shalrie Joseph wants New England to sign Juan Pablo Angel if NY doesn't want him anymore. It will be interesting to see if the Krafts do make a move like that.
- Is a DC United move to Baltimore looking more and more likely?
- This doesn't sound like a hollow vote of confidence for a coach. I hated Jason Kreis for the way he acted here in 1999, but he has done a great job since taking over Real Salt Lake.
- Fake Sigi looks at how the money from SUM is distributed to the MLS clubs.
- The Southsiders in Vancouver want their fellow supporters from Portland and Seattle to be able to travel up to see the matches. I hope all three clubs can allow visiting supporters to com and support their teams. I also hope people don't get stupid and just make the matches really fun to watch.
- The NY Cosmos as the 20th MLS club. I don't know who is more excited about the idea, the club or Don Garber? That has to be the commish's epic dream, right?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.