April 16, 2010
Portland had a really long streak of games without a loss in 2009.
And with the team making the jump to MLS in 2011, this year's squad could be even better.
Add in the always raucous fans in the Timbers Army and the Rhinos have a tall task ahead of them tomorrow as they hope to get the first win of their 2010 campaign in what is the Portland season and home opener.
Forward Isaac Kissi, who is nursing a bone bruise in his knee, once again did not make the trip with the team. But, Jonathan Greenfield, who didn't make last weekend's trip to Miami, is with the team in Portland.
News & Notes:
- August 8th is the date for the 2010 edition of the Soccer in the Sand tournament at Ontario Beach Park.
- Former Puerto Rico Islanders defender Cristian Arrieta has landed with the expansion Philadelphia Union of MLS.
- It will be interesting to see if Bridgeview indeed invests in the area around Toyota Park.
- Landon Donovan is a part of the MLS segment called The Sitdown.
- I am stunned to read that NY wants to add a 3rd DP slot.....
- Chris Seitz is struggling as the #1 GK for Philly.
- I have to link to any story I find that makes fun of fans in Toronto.
- If you want to know who does Danny Califf's ink, here you go.
- Fredy Montero is the type of player that Seattle should use a DP slot to keep, if they could....
- Here is an interesting post pondering what is the purpose of MLS?
- Are iPods to blame for issue with players who aren't focused on the game?
- In this week's SI, Grant Wahl takes a look at what has happened to Freddy Adu.
- Apparently the Luke Rodgers to NY deal isn't dead yet....
- The USL has something talking about Ownership 101 ? Really?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.