May 13, 2008
Mike Ambersley's 2008 USL 1st Division season is apparently over due to a knee injury. Atlanta's 2007 leading goal scorer, Warren Ukah, is also done for the season with a knee injury he suffered in a collision with Seattle goalkeeper Chris Eylander.
In Montreal, Gabe Gervais is on the shelf for three weeks with a quad injury suffered in the Impact's 1-0 loss at Minnesota.
And while it is early in the season, the Rhinos are already 5 points out of sixth place. A win in Seattle tomorrow night would be really nice right about now.
News & Notes:
- The highlights from Saturday's USWNT 6-0 win over Canada are now up on US Soccer.com. How did Abby miss that header on a cross from Heather Mitts?
- Greg Lalas' latest Outside the Box column for SI.com looks at the Columbus Crew. Why he doesn't give all the credit for Columbus' success to Brian Bliss is beyond me.....
- Steve Davis' latest at MLSNet.com is about the breakout stars of 2008. It's nice to see Robbie Rogers lighting things up in MLS after he played a big role on last year's US U-20 team.
- The new MLS expansion team in Philly has hired a couple of people, so spruce up your resume!
- I didn't think leadership was the issue in LA. I thought the problem was trying to build an entire team when you have three DP-level contracts on one roster........
- Esky hasn't been able to stay healthy with Chivas USA. They need to put together a Benny and Esky rehab show on MLSNet.com!
- Steve Goff has his The Good, The Bad, and The Coyote Ugly for this week up and I love how he finished it.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.