October 10, 2011
There is some big local news happening this week.
First, McCall Zerboni is officially coming back to the WNY Flash after signing a new contract.
Second, the Rochester Rhinos have hired their next head coach and he will be unveiled at a press conference on Wednesday. Rhinos GM Pat Ercoli was on Soccer is a Kick in the Grass tonight and mentioned that the coach is a grassroots guy and has MLS ties. I wonder if Pat Onstad could be the guy?
Finally, for all the fans that have been waiting for the Lancers to unveil more players besides Doug Miller, this shoul;d be your week.
News & Notes:
- Syracuse Silver Knights head coach Tommy Tanner announced on Kick This! on Saturday that they have signed former MLS forward Diego Serna. From 1998 to 2001, Serna was a goal scoring machine for the Miami Fusion as he bagged 52 goals in MLS play.
- The Missouri Comets have signed local product John Sosa who has been playing in Reserve matches for Sporting KC lately.
- If you want a taste of some of the action you can expect at Lancers games, check out this MISL 2010-11 highlight reel.
- Here is some coverage of Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan, and Hope Solo at the Chicago Marathon.
- If you want to work out like Abby Wambach, check this out.
- WNY Flash defender Whitney Engen checks in from Sweden.
- The American Outlaws have some hints as to future friendlies for the USMNT.
- No Short Corners talks about how Schalke was sniffing around for Brek Shea and backed away when they found out how much FC Dallas and MLS wanted. Will he escape MLS ala Clint Dempsey or will the asking price keep him here for a while ala Landon Donovan, Eddie Johnso, and a few other players?
- Inside Minnesota Soccer has recaps of the Minnesota-Carolina and Ft Lauderdale-Puerto Rico Semifinal 1st leg matches from over the weekend. They also have coverage of Traffic Sport' CEO resigning and how that calls the future of the NASL intoquestion.
- Apparently Charlie Davies only started playing soccer to keep his dad happy.
- MLS Soccer.com's Armchair Analyst ponders life after Landon Donovan.
- Bob Bradley had filled out his Eqypt coaching staff.
- If Chelsea builds a new stadium, they may need to re-name the club.
- Jesse Marsch is really working the players that have shown up to the Montreal Impact tryout camp.
- There is also a little drama around a player that may have been at the camp.....
- Mike Sorber has joined Marsch's staff in Montreal as an assistant coach.
- This is the stadium plan that many hope to lure MLS to Detroit with.
- I really hope Omar Gonzalez doesn't choose to play for Mexico.
- Fabio Capello is OK with his players drinking at Euro 2012 if they win.
- Changes could be on the way for the US Open Cup.
- If you like Angry Birds, check this video out.
- Beau Dure has more on single digit soccer. I really like this series of posts on young kids playing the game.
- And congrats to the Seattle Sounders on their USOC Three-peat.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.