I'm in a big hurry, so I'm going the Cliff's Notes version of news today:
- Rhinos Soccer.com has the news release on the Palguta, Ball, and Heins signings. Programming note: Scott Palguta is scheduled to appear on Saturday's edition of Kick This!
- Craig Demmin will be a Player and Coaches Development Consultant with the Chili Soccer Association in case you were wondering what Craig is up to now.
- The USL has confirmed the news leaks that the Columbus City Stars will play in the USL 1st Division in 2009.
- Speaking of signings being made official, the Crew have announced Schelotto's return for 2009. The Columbus Dispatch calls $600,000 for the MLS and MLS Cup MVP a stiff price. Personally, I'd call it a bargain!
- SBI.net talks about how to improve the Red Bulls during the off season. Ives puts forth the idea of sending their now vacant DP spot to Chivas USA in a deal for Jonathon Bornstein and Maykel Galindo. That would be interesting.......
- The Austin Aztex have formed a strategic alliance with Club de Futbol Monterrey.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer has an interesting look at the USL's growing pains. This is only Part 1. I can't wait for more!
- Yanks Abroad talks to Freddy Adu about how things are going in France.
- SBI.net also has a Q&A which starts out with the take that St. Louis and Miami/Barca perhaps being the two front runners for MLS expansion teams. My guess is that the USL will dance a jig if that happens.
- Bayern Munich has confirmed that the Landon Donovan loan will end before the 2009 MLS season begins. I still don't know if it's anywhere near a lock that Landon returns to MLS.
- Vancouver has signed defender Justin Thompson away from the Portland Timbers.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.