August 9, 2010
After being out on vacation and missing time due to "personal reasons", I am back. I've been gone so long that Rafa Marquez has made his NY debut and Clint Mathis has retired from LA. The Rhinos even have a new Executive VP in Bob Russell that will be running things day to day. Seattle added a new DP.
While I was out the Rhinos had another 1-0 win, this time at home over Portland. Looking at the table, the Rhinos might have a hard time catching Austin for 1st place in the USL Conference, but they should be able to hold on to the 3rd seed.
I just hope NSC Minnesota finishes 6th and not Puerto Rico. Montreal would be a fun match up from a rivalry point of view.
Devo has some Youtube footage of the Rhinos visiting Camp Good Days & Special Times.
News & Notes:
- It will be interesting to see how these changes to the standards for 2nd Division teams affect the Rhinos. The soccer specific stadium requirement won't affect Rochester. But, the $750,000 cash bond and the talk about a $20 to $25 million net worth of the owner could. Also, I wonder how many markets could play 2nd division soccer if these are the standards.
- Vincenzo Bernardo is off to Serie D club Nola.
- This is a cool Portland Timbers MLS ad.
- I also like Nike's follow up to the "Thank You" ad that will be played during the US-Brazil game tomorrow night.
- Hamilton Ontario & Detroit may be looking to add pro soccer teams.
- I really hope that MLS doesn't go to Atlanta. I might be able to live with MLS taking it's talents to South Beach over Atlanta.
- Would they change the team name from DC United to Baltimore United if this happens?
- Vancouver has one up on Portland before they even play a single MLS game.
- Steve Davis talks about the NY-Chicago DP Bowl.
- If Jozy Altidore wants to get loaned out from Villareal to Besiktas, that's not a bad way to showcase himself.
- Former Rhino Daniel Antunez bagged a double in Europa League qualifying.
- I guess Ronaldinho no longer means "Little Ronaldo".
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.