June 1, 2012
So, it didn't take the Philadelphia Union long to get on the scoresheet and the Rhinos' scoring woes continued in their 3-0 loss to the Union that knocked the team out of the USOC tournament.
Up next for the Rhinos are the Richmond Kickers who come to Sahlen's Stadium after losing to DC United in the USOC on Tuesday evening.
With the Rhinos winless in their last three league games, tomorrow is a chance to get back on track. This will be a big game for Rhinos head coach Jesse Myers who was a long time assistant in Richmond before coming to Rochester this season.
Also of note, Danny Earls was named to the USL PRO League Team of the Week.
7 MLS teams were knocked out of the tournament on Tuesday night
Cal FC knocked off the Portland Timbers on Wednesday night
MLS Soccer.com - Wynalda surprised by Cal FC's fairytale Open Cup run
Steve Davis wonders if the Cal FC win is the biggest upset in USOC history
Steve Davis on another reason to adore the USOC
The Michigan Bucks and Cal FC (coached by Eric Wynalda) are the two most surprising teams to advance to the next round of the USOC tournament this week.
I know I'll be rooting for them in the next round.
Brazil 4:1 US
Steve Davis with three talking points after the match
Goal.com - Klinsmann wants a "nastier" edge
No Short Corners - Make it nasty?
No Short Corners - Musings of a mad 'Merican
MLS Soccer.com - Klinsmann's "nasty" comments draw fire
MLS Soccer.com - Dynamic Johnson makes impression at left back
MLS Soccer.com - Is Klinsmann's gamesmanship really in US players' DNA?
MLS Soccer.com - Is Klinsmann's type of "nastiness" un-American?
Grantland - Baby Steps to the Elevator
So, that came was both entertaining, frustrating, discouraging, and head scratching for me.
It sucks to watch the USMNT get thumped 4-1. But, it didn't seem that bad during a second half stretch where the US missed a handful of really good scoring chances and were taking things to Brazil.
And then there was the ref who seemed to want to be at the center of attention over the first 20 minutes or so.
At the end of the day, the US has found a new left back and Michael Bradley continues to be the engine in the middle of the park.
And Neymar is fun to watch.
News & Notes:
- Former WNY Flash GK Ashlyn Harris will undergo shoulder surgery and will be out for 4 to 6 months.
- It's no surprise, but Abby Wambach has made the US Olympic team.
- Ives Galarcep looks at the best and worst values in MLS.
- Marco Di Vaio says coming to MLS is about more than just soccer.
- NASL expansion is delayed, but still on track per their commissioner. Seems like an oxymoron to me....
- Could the Pier 40 news and Nike dropping Umbro news mean that the Cosmos are closer to being MLS team #20? My small market bias would hate that. But, that would be pretty cool.
- With Ronaldinho voiding his contract with Flamengo due to unpaid wages, could he be headed to MLS?
- The US v Mexico rivalry will be the focus of a new documentary.
- Kamani Hill goes from unemployment to leading scorer for the Colorado Rapids.
- Here are the 2012 National Soccer Hall of Fame inductees.
- And here are the weekend's games in MLS , NASL , and USL PRO league.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.