September 24, 2008
- It's official - Game 2 versus Charleston will be on Fox Soccer Channel at 7:30pm on Sunday.
- USL Soccer.com has the full Quarterfinal bracket up.
- Carolina missed the playoffs, but Hamed Diallo was named the USL 1st Division Player of the Week and Frankie Sanfilippo and Martin Nunez were named to the Team of the Week........
- The NY Times has a nice piece on Abby Wambach and how she's dealt with her injury.
- There was a crazy storm going on and the field was almost unplayable, but Puerto Rico defeated Santos Laguna 3-1 last night in CONCACAF Champions League play. Houston managed a scoreless draw on the road versus San Francisco FC of Panama and DC United plays in Honduras tonight.
- The Washington Post has the latest on the DC United stadium situation. I wonder if they'll have a new stadium in the next five years?
- The Washington Post also has a piece on the Washington Freedom getting ready for the WPS season.
- US Soccer.com has Part 1 of a series on the experience of the USMNT playing in Cuba upin their video section.
- MLS Rumors.net has a piece saying that Barcelona is still moving forward with an attempt to get a 2011 MLS expansion team based in Miami. The best thing for the USL would be this happening and St. Louis or NYC getting teams in 2011 and Portland, Vancouver and Montreal getting passed over.
- I wonder how much longer the fans in Toronto will stand for the results that Toronto FC are putting up now? The media has started to throw some stones .........
- Following up on the Forbes.com article, the Star Telegram has a very superficial piece on FC Dallas' finances.
- Grant Wahl's latest at SI.com says that the LA Galaxy are pushing to have DPs not count against the salary cap at all. Currently, they count $400,000 against the cap.
- Goalkeeper Dominic Cervi may be signing with Glasgow Celtic soon.
- And SBI.net says that wunderkid Johnny Exantus is still open to signing with the Red Bulls. I'd love to see the Rhinos grab him.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.