January 18, 2008
If you were refreshing Devo's blog yesterday like I was, then you already know that the announcement of the new Rhinos investor has been pushed back once again.
The dotting of the Is and the crossing of the Ts has taken longer than anyone expected.
I've heard that at least one person that needs to sign off on the move hasn't been contacted as of yet. So, who knows how close this thing truly is.
As far as tomorrow's edition of Kick This! goes, we will be following up on two big things that came out of last week's show. We will have Scott Palguta on to discuss his impending try out with the NY Red Bulls and we will have Kenney Bertz on to talk about what Coach Calloway called "the DC situation".
And as always, there could be breaking news on the show, so tune in to Hot Talk 1280 WHTK at 11:05 am tomorrow and listen to what happens.
News & Notes:
- WUSA v2.0 has a name (WPS) and a website now. Big Apple Soccer.com also has a Q&A up with Tonya Antonucci who is trying to bring pro women's soccer back to North America. It also appears that Cary, NC is in the mix to be a part of the league in 2009 and Rochester is not according to Steven Goff. Although, it is expected that San Jose will be the chosen site of the as yet unnamed team.
- The USWNT has moved to the Four Nations title game with a 4-1 win over Finland. Abby Wambach set up the first two US goals and the team will face the host nation China on Sunday.
- All the rumors that Victoria, BC were getting a USL 1st Division team were off a bit as they will have a PDL team in 2009. It will be interesting to see if the Victoria market grows into a USL 1st Division market long term or not.
- KC has let go of another member of their back line by shipping Jose Burciaga Jr. to Colorado for a 2009 2nd round pick. I like this move for Colorado. A lot.
- The Red Bulls have a new back up goalkeeper in Zach Thornton. Zach spent 2007 as the back up in Colorado.
- MLSNet.com has an article about how good Jozy Altidore is looking in USMNT camp. I'll be shocked if Altidore is in MLS in 2009.
- Pennsylvania's governor is saying that the state could kick in around $50 million in aid for an MLS stadium according to a story on Philly.com. And the Rhinos are waiting on $4 million..........
- SBI.net is saying that Eddie Johnson to Fulham is not dead despite the Cottagers picking up Marlon King from Watford.
- And ahead of this afternoon's MLS SuperDraft, MLSNet.com has their mock draft, Michael Lewis has an article on MLSNet.com talking about how teams have their poker faces on, Steven Goff has an article in today's Washington Post about Patrick Nyarko's hopes of going #1 overall, SBI.net has his Pre-Draft tidbits, as well as general league rumblings that you get at events like this. I like the way the Chicago Fire coaching staff and front office is rounding at this point.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.