Did a sports writer in the US just write an article that compared an NFL GM hire to a manager hired by the same owner in the EPL?
I didn't know that was allowed even if the writer spoon feeds the reads with what an EPL manager does.
Seriously though, it is articles like this one that show that soccer as a professional sport is growing in the US.
Add in news like the Fox Soccer Plus network launch reports and it's obvious that soccer as a sports product continues to make positive steps in this country regardless of what the ney sayers are spouting.
News & Notes:
- Troy Perkins may want to come back to MLS. The interesting part is that Perkins has had some personal and team success in Norway and his 5 year contract is far from over.
- Since the NASL doesn't have their website up and running yet, they are dispersing press releases about the AGM via the team websites like Rhinos Soccer.com.
- Eric Wynalda is going to be a U-20 USMNT assistant coach for a Mexican tour. I sure hope that FSC has a reality show set up around this!
- The Kixx are Philly's true soccer team?!?!?!?!?!
- Former Miami FC defender Gale Agbossoumonde is heading to Portugal on loan to Sporting Braga.
- Fake Sigi wonders what an MLS work stoppage would mean to the CONCACAF Champions League. That question could also be extended to cover the 2010 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup tournament, as well.
- Stuart Holden's trial in England has shifted from Burnley to Bolton with Owen Coyle moving to the Wanderers.
- Kenny Cooper is back scoring goals for 1860 Munich.
- The Original Winger has a sweet post on becoming an American soccer fan. One thing this makes me think is that I can't wait for the 2010 red USMNT jersey to be unveiled.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.