March 11, 2009
I'm feeling lazy today, so here is the latest from around the soccer world:
The Portland to MLS drama drags on
- Blue Oregon cracks on Wall Street about the Portland MLS bid.
- Portland's mayor is still pushing for the deal to happen.
- The Oregonian Editorial Board has the title Nowheresville USA in their last op-ed about the deal......
- The Portland Tribune has a piece about today's big vote as well.
- For the latest from the meeting, here is the live blog.
- I love articles like this that make it sound like a done deal.........
- From Seattle's viewpoint, Portland and Vancouver are so close the fans can taste it.
- Ives Galarcep has his two cents on decision day in Portland.
As the LA Galaxy turns
- Ridge Mahoney's latest at SI.com looks at the silver lining of the Beckham deal. There is a silver lining?!?!?!?!?
- Nick Green has a great letter to Galaxy fans that the LA brass should have written. Classic stuff!
- Alexi Lalas is predicted that LA fans will boo Beckham upon his return. The upside there is that there will still be people in the stands to boo him, I guess.
- Nick Green also covers the return of Landon Donovan to SoCal.
News & Notes:
- If you were wondering about the 2009 Rhinos season ticket pricing, here is a pdf version of the flyer.
- The St Louis bid for an expansion team just got a shot in the arm today with Anheuser-Busch joining the bid.
- Two more assistant referees in MLS? Interesting....
- MLS has a fan code and a pledge to the fans.
- The US U-20s have qualified for the World Cup.
- DC has added goalkeeper Josh Wicks in a trade from LA. I guess that means that Louis Crayton's injury was really bad.
- Tony Caig has resurfaced across the pond.
- It looks like Eugene Melnyk hasn't given up on his bid to get Ottawa into MLS.
- Maradona has some explaining to do......
- Should this give me hope?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them