January 1, 2011
I won't resolve to post every day in 2011 since there is no way that will happen.
I do hope to improve upon my spotty record of late, though.....
Here is the best of the drama that is happening in the world of soccer today:
- Dwayne DeRosario appears to be ticking off Toronto FC, and some fans and media , with his training with Glasgow Celtic.
- San Jose hopes to have their new stadium up in time for the 2012 season.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer has a fun recap of D2 soccer in 2010.
- Paul Mariner appears to be the front runner to be the next Toronto FC head coach. It will be interesting to see if he can have success as the head man after having a lot of success as the right hand man to Steve Nicol with the Revs.
- I hope Don Garber is just teasing Miami......
- There may be a bidding war amongst a few Euro clubs for the services of LA's Edson Buddle.
- Omar Cummings may be loaned to Aston Villa.
- Freddie Ljungberg is off to Celtic.
- Robbie Findley signed with Nottingham Forest.
- Herculez Gomez joked on Twitter about returning to MLS.
- Real Salt Lake extended their loan of Paulo Jr from Miami FC and has an option to sign him through 2014.
- FC Edmonton is putting themselves out there.
- Some more Beckham-Cosmos-NY expansion team rumors for ya. This is one rumored scenario that makes a boatload of sense to me. Which means that it won't happen.
- The Philadelphia Independence of WPS will have a new home stadium in 2011.
- Jimmy Conrad has signed with Chivas USA and Frankie Hejduk has signed with LA. Now it will be interesting to see if Juan Pablo Angel willbe moving to the Home Depot Center as well.
- Pro soccer to Hamilton Ontario has taken a hit.
- New DC United assistant coach Pat Onstad likes the team's building blocks.
- Abby Wambach and a few other USWNT vets are getting a rest by Pia Sundhage.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.