December 14, 2011
I have to think that Patrick Hannigan missing Saturday night's game in Milwaukee helped Joe Hammes being named MISL Player of the Week this week.
The Lancers just play better with Hannigan in there. I hope his wrist is good to go on Saturday afternoon when the Syracuse Silver Knights come to town off their second win of the seaosn in Baltimore.
And that win makes Saturday's game bigger as the Lancers are a half game back of Syracuse for the last playoff spot in the Eastern Division.
News & Notes:
- The MISL has over 100,000 fans come to games so far this season.
- Abby Wambach is on the short list for the FIFA Player of the Year award.
- Former Rhinos D Carlos Mendes has moved from NY to Columbus in the MLS Re-Entry Draft.
- WPS is alive for 2012 but needs a 6th team for 2013 and 8 teams for 2014.
- The Atlanta Beat look to be better in 2012 with the signing of Christen Press.
- Bonnie Ford would rather see major changes, though.
- Sacramento is the latest market to get tabbed as a potential MLS expansion market.
- The Battle for San Antonio is on again.....
- It looks like Brek Shea will be back with FC Dallas in 2012.
- The Houston Dynamo have sold the naming rights for their new stadium.
- If you ever wondered what the US Soccer Federation's budget looked like, well here you go...
- Brad Friedel inserted his boot in his mouth when talking about the career paths of Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey.
- Adrian Whitbread has replaced Colin Clarke as the head coach of the Puerto Rico Islanders.
- The 3rd kit for the Portland Timbers is some retro sweetness.
- Clint Dempsey now holds the record for EPL goals by a Yank.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.