November 11, 2008
Apparently the Colorado Rapids forgot to tell Steve Guppy not to spill the beans about his leaving the Rhinos to take a job with the Rapids.
With the Rhinos releasing the news that Steve was leaving Rochester to join Gary Smith in Colorado, the Rapids front office has been in damage control mode as they have yet to offiically announce that they have indeed given Smith the head coaching job on a full time basis after he ended the 2008 season as the interim head coach.
The big news coming out of Saturday's show was that Steve was honest about how he will be looking to bring Danny Earls to Colorado. Selfishly, I hope that Ross Smith, Scott Palguta, and Luke Kreamalmayer slip through MLS's fingers and are back in a Rhinos uniform in 2009.
News & Notes:
- Steven Goff talks about how Landon Donovan is in the middle of a 10 day training stint with Bayern Munich. Bayern head man Jurgen Klinsmann obviously knows Landon Donovan well given how much time he's spent in Southern California over the past few years.
- Sigi Schmid as Coach of the Year and Darren Huckerby as Newcomer of the Year were two no-brainders amongst the MLS Awards.
- The MLS Conference Finals are this weekend with Columbus hosting Chicago and Real Salt Lake hosting NY.
- Greg Lalas has his take on the MLS Final 4 at SI.com.
- Former Rhino John Wolyniec is the latest victim of SBI.net's You Write the Caption series.
- Uncle Phil and Clark Hunt might be purchasing Newcastle United. Hopefully they work together better than the American owners of Liverpool!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.